|Saint John the Evangelist Church
715 Tararu Road, Thames New Zealand
|Photo to come|
Dating from 1880, Saint Johns was built by local subscription and became part of the Thames Parish under Vestry control c1910. Subsequent vicar at Saint Georges had supplemented weekly lay-led services with regular communions. The Kauri intimate building is in need of extensive repair and restoration from foundations up. A recent (2004) Condition Assessment Report commissioned by Vestry has detailed immediate and short term work required to secure the building.
Saint Johns is an icon in the Tararu settlement, the only church in that district, and also serves the Thames Coast.
The building is listed in the TCDC Heritage Register and is a Category 1 building listed with the Historic Places Trust.
Descendants of the Lawlor family (Henry Charles Lawlor who came to Thames in 1867 as Warden and lived there till his death was the original lay reader) plan a reunion in the area in October 2005 to coincide with the 125th year of the opening of the church.
The building was sold in 2006.
|Old Saint George's
1868 church originally situated in Rolleston St, Thames
|Photo to come|
Renovations and restoration are underway on the original Saint Georges (now the Parish Hall). The building was originally sited in Rolleston Street opposite the now Medical Centre on land gifted to the church by Chief Taipari. The building was shifted to the Mary/Mackay Street campus in 1909 and then swung through 90 degrees when the Hospital Board took land to rebuild in 1963. The porch was demolished and the building butted to the front section of the old vicarage. The supper room and toilets were also removed at this time.
Repiled in 2001 by rolling it to one site, installing new foundations, and rolling it back at the level of the 1872 church enables the parish to build a linking facility to replace the old vicarage complex within a purpose-built toilet/kitchen/office and meeting-room facility accessible from both buildings. As a result a sheltered courtyard will be established which will have a multitude of uses, including a sitting and lunch area for workers in the CBD.
Because of its size and character the Hall is the base for a significant number of community groups. Work is about to begin of restoring the gothic windows that have rotted out due to constant damp during its 1909-1963 bordering the vicarage garden. Interior painting and refiguring of the stage area are also planned inside the next twelve months